Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Final Stop: Valencia


Right now I’m on a train heading back to Barcelona. I’ve been in Valencia all weekend, exploring the city, solidifying new friendships, and eating a lot of good food. I was not planning on going to Valencia because I was tired of travelling with my heavy and bulky crash pad , even though I would have a free place to stay at. But when my German friend, Carson, told me he was driving there to pick up his friends, I took it as a big sign that I should not leave Spain without seeing one last city.

I stayed with a couple I met in Albarracin, David and Gema, and had an incredible time getting to know them. They are very knowledgeable of the city’s history and were very generous people. They took me out into the city to eat tapas, explore the city, and see the great hemispheric. I had a great time getting to know their friends from Seville, who didn’t speak a lot of English, but were hilarious to interact with.

David also invited me to eat at his mother’s house, which is on the beach. I ate traditional Spanish plate, Palallas and had a great time meeting his family. After we had a lot of the best Italian Ice Cream and saw an Imax that is way bigger than the one in Chattanooga.





I arrived in Valencia right after Fallas ended, which was probably good because I am not a big fan of a super busy city full of burning statues and drunks.

To sum up the trip I have:

1. Met 20 amazing people by going out of my comfort zone.

2. Climbed a lot of rocks

3. Got sick (literally) of traveling by train and bus.

4. Fallen in love with Spain

How did I meet David and Gema in Albarracin? I was trying to decide what cheese to buy while the owner of the store was blabbering at me, and David came over and offered to translate for her. After that, I thanked him and went on my way. A few minutes later, I saw him and Gema in the street and talked for a little bit. After, they gave me their contact information and the rest is history. Crazy, huh?! I had the best time in Valencia just from deciding to buy cheese at 8:00 pm.




The one main thing I really enjoyed from my trip was having the constant opportunity to reinvent myself when meeting new people. Where there is no predisposition to act like my normal self- whatever that may be- I can try new things out and see what works and what doesn’t. For example, here is a made up monologue for myself:

“Hmm…In Dublin, I’m always acting like the modest, humble, and non-ambitious Ben. Now that I’m Spain, I think I’m going to be a confident bad ass and see how seriously people take me. Gee, I hope I don’t piss them off. After I leave Spain and go to Paris, I think I’ll go for the silent and sophisticated Ben”. I don’t think this is deceitful, only industrious.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are just being honest with yourself, and you're not sure what that is.
    Maybe you will find out that you are who you are and even though you never really disected yourself in this way, everyone does at some point in their life. But I have found that it is very satisfying to know that God created me to be who I am and that there's only one me. And that life is a Gift, from God to us each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben
    Happy you're having a great time.
    Love you!
    Aunt Kerry and Uncle Bob
    CU soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up dude? Hey, there's nothing wrong with experimenting a little bit to find out who you are. You'll find out soon enough. I think more people would be happy if they would only be more introspective. You have to know yourself before you can know what will make you happy. Like Aunt Roseanne said; "everyone does at some point in their life". Although I'm not sure it's something that ever stops completely. I can relate to your little experiment. I've felt that way before. Anyway, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When do you become George Clooney Ben? lol

    ReplyDelete